The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health
Happy Mamas, Healthy Babies
A DBA of Wholistic Midwifery School of Southern California
Promoting Awareness, Access and Availability of MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care
A community-based organization dedicated to improving maternity care, promoting maternal and infant health in Los Angeles. Offering Professional Training & Networking, Support for Pregnancy, Childbirth, Postpartum and Breastfeeding.
I can promise you that women working together–linked, informed and educated–can bring peace and prosperity to this forsaken planet”
Funded from 2011 to 2013 by
The Laurence H. Tribe Charitable Trust
To register for our trainings go to: Eventbrite
Download our volunteer application form here: Volunteer Application Form
Tickets Now On Sale!
Early Bird Registration Ends July 15
2015 Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative Symposium
“PROTECTING THE MOTHERBABY-DYAD: INNOVATION IN MATERNITY CARE”
Wednesday and Thursday, October 14 & 15, 2015
A Conference & Live Webinar for Perinatal Professionals
CEUs Pending: ACNM, ICEA, BRN, CHES, CLEC
California Endowment Center for Healthy Communities
1000 N. Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Can’t Attend in Person? Join the Virtual “Town-Hall” Meeting
ATTEND THE FILM SCREENING OF “FREEDOM FOR BIRTH”
“Freedom for Birth” is a 58 minute documentary that reframes women’s birthing rights as one of the most pressing human rights issues in the world
today. “Freedom For Birth” is more than just a film. It marks the beginning of a movement that will focus global attention on the violations of women’s rights during childbirth.
Wednesday, October 14 • 2:15pm – 3:15 pm (Film) & 3:30pm-5:45pm (Lecture)
Tickets may be purchased as a stand alone ticket ($20 Regular and $10 Student)
If attending Film Presentation Only, must purchase ticket at:Eventbrite
90 minute documentary film and discussion by two Human Rights Experts, Hermine Hayes-Klien, JD, of Human Rights and Childbirth and Dr. Laila Al-Marayati, MD, FACOG,an OB/GYN physician and Medical Director of Women’s Health Services at Eisner Pediatric Family Medical Center in Los Angeles, an Islamic Women’s Rights Activist.
WATCH FILM TRAILER
Who We Are
We are a community-based 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity 509 (a) (2) located in Los Angeles, California. We are perinatal professionals joined together with a common vision to promote maternal and infant health, improve maternity care services, reduce perinatal health disparities in Los Angeles County.
We also provide support and education for expectant parents in Los Angeles County including birth doula support, childbirth education, postpartum doula care and breastfeeding counseling.
Our board and advisory committee, volunteers and consultants have expertise in family medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, maternal mental health, maternity and newborn nursing, midwifery, lactation support, public health, health promotion, Doula support and childbirth education. We also sponsor networking and training opportunities for maternity care professionals.
To increase access, awareness and availability of MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care. We are also committed to social justice in birth.
The Association of Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health focuses on the intersection of public health and midwifery to address healthcare disparities and to engender a more equitable maternity care system for all women and infants. Our focus areas are:
- Education for Birth Preparation and Cultural Change
- Advocacy for Maternal-Infant Healthcare Policy Reform
- Expanding Access to MotherBaby-Friendly Maternity Care
- As advocates for mothers and babies, we seek to ensure that each mother is treated with dignity and respect during her pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum periods.
- We promote a self-growth approach to pregnancy; which is a special and unique time in a woman’s life.
- We believe each pregnant woman should be surrounded by a loving and supportive community and each baby should be born into the hands of skilled, compassionate and respectful caregivers.
- We protect the MotherBaby dyad whose needs are mutually dependent.
- We are reverent of the sacred nature of birth, and are inspired by its potential to transform women, relationships, families and communities.
- Our intent is to mobilize the perinatal community to implement culturally appropriate wholistic approaches to perinatal health with the goal to improve outcomes and quality of maternity care in all settings: clinics, hospitals, birth centers and domiciliary settings.
- We are dedicated to helping families have empowering, satisfying and joyous experiences from conception through gestation, childbearing, breastfeeding and early parenthood.
The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI) Developed by The Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS)
Our organizational philosophy, direct services, practices and programs are based on the five principles of The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI) which is an evidence-based, consensus document ratified in 1996 through the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) by every major U.S. organization with concern for mothers and newborns. Today, the MFCI is endorsed by maternity care leaders and organizations throughout the U.S. and the world.
In 2013, Dr. Michael C. Lu, MD, MS, MPH Director of Maternal Child Health Bureau of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced that they are planning to use the five principles of the MFCI to guide planning for maternal and child health in the U.S. Click here to Watch Dr. Lu’s Video Announcement.
In 2011-2013, we received a grant from the California Community Foundation (CCF) for Hospital Improvements and Nursing Education. In addition, we are supported by The Caroline T. and Laurence H. Tribe Charitable Trust, and private donations from citizens who believe in our mission and work, and fee for services provided such as Childbirth Education Classes, Labor and Postpartum Doula Support, and trainings and consultations for professionals.
If you BELIEVE in our mission…
CONTRIBUTE your time and talents ….
Make a DONATION…of any amount.
Your donation can be to our organization for general purposes, or can be earmarked for a specific project (either existing or in development).
Projects and Programs Include:
- Community-Based Doula Program
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
- The Annual Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative Symposium of Los Angeles County
- The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative of Los Angeles County
- B.I.R.T.H. (Birth Information and Resources for Teen Health) Mother-Mentor Program
P.O. Box 50630
Los Angeles, CA 90050-0630
Telephone: (626) 388-2191 Fax: (323) 739.9523
Donations are tax-deductible to Wholistic Midwifery School of Southern California DBA The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, a 501 (c) (3) non profit organization, 509 (a) (2) public charity. We are qualified to receive tax-deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the IRS code.