Childbirth Education – Group Classes
Empowered Birth Choices
Natural Childbirth Preparation Class
Make Informed Choices. Cultivate Trust In Birth
A Four-Week Series of Natural Childbirth Education Classes for Pregnant Women and their Birth Partners. Natural Childbirth Preparation for Hospital, Homebirth or Birth Center, with a Midwife or Obstetrician.
A Certified Childbirth Educator, Certified Lactation Educator, Certified Birth Assistant, Assistant Midwife, and Certified Health Education Specialist with a Master’s in Public Health in Health Education and Promotion/Maternal Child Health. Since 1991, Cordelia has helped hundreds of pregnant women and their partners have safe, satisfying and empowered births.
About These Classes | Why Choose these Classes | Class One: Understanding Birth | Class Two: Coping with Labor | Class Three: Making Informed Choices | Class Four: Postpartum, The Amazing Newborn & Breastfeeding|Intensive Weekend Natural Childbirth Preparation Workshop | Pay for Classes and Services | About the Instructor
Questions? Submit the Birth Form .
NOW OFFERING CLASSES AT:
1750 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 206
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Pre-Registration is Required for All Classes. No Walk-Ins can be accommodated.
EMPOWERED BIRTH CHOICES NATURAL CHILDBIRTH PREPARATION CLASS
Dates: Call us for dates of next series
Who Should Attend: Pregnant women and their partners
Registration Deadline: TBA
Locations: Santa Monica & Arcadia
Download Flyer: EMPOWERED BIRTH CHOICES – Natural Childbirth Preparation Classes
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS CLASS? CONTACT US
In this intensive weekend format taught Saturday and Sunday, you be awed by the miracle of birth.
Developing trust in birth, while cultivating acceptance of unexpected outcomes, understanding your options for childbirth, making informed choices, communicating with your care-provider, making a birth plan, labor coping skills, maintaining a spiritual perspective around the birth, breastfeeding and the amazing newborn and more.
This format is perfect for busy couples with hectic schedules or for those who travel frequently. Learn all you need to know to be prepared for the birth without having to attend classes for several weeks. Includes materials and refreshments, prenatal yoga and a special Mini-Blessingway Ceremony.
Who Should Attend: Pregnant Women and Their Birth Partners
Date and Time of Next Weekend Intensive: Call us for date and time
Location: Los Angeles Birth Partners, 1750 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 203 – Santa Monica, CA 90405
Fee: $500.00 per couple. Includes materials, daily yoga class and Mini-Blessingway Ceremony ( a special ceremony honoring the expectant mother and her partner).
Khefri Riley, CD, CLE, Certified Lactation Educator/Certified Doula/Kundalini Prenatal Yoga Teacher, from Urban Goddess Lifestyle
Cordelia Hanna-Cheruiyot, MPH, CHES, ICCE, CLE, CBA, Certified Childbirth Educator/Certified Birth Assistant/Midwife Assistant/Certified Lactation Educator
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP? CONTACT US
Prenatal education today is much more than learning how to breathe. These “Lamaze” childbirth preparation classes help pregnant women and expectant parents understand the birth process, learn how to cope with labor so they can enter into labor with confidence. These prenatal preparation and lactation education classes empower parents to take an active role in making informed decisions about their maternity and newborn care including making informed choices such as where to have the baby –hospital, birth center or homebirth, and choosing the maternity care provider: midwife or obstetrician. Classes are appropriate for first time expectant parents and experienced parents alike; whether planning a hospital birth or birth center or homebirth, whether you have a Midwife or Obstetrician. We promote a Mother- and Baby-Friendly Approach and promote Biological Nurturing and Attachment Parenting. Refresher childbirth education classes and sibling birth preparation classes are also available.
Because we educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife assisted birth
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding
- Family involvement in the birthing process
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting and Biological Nurturing as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children
In short, we trust birth. We believe in you. We help you develop confidence for birthing, breastfeeding and parenting. We help you develop a vision for your birth; we support you to manifest it.
By the end of these classes, expectant mothers and their partners will have:
1) Increased knowledge about options for childbirth, pros and cons of medical procedures, and be able to make informed choices during pregnancy and childbirth.
2) Increased confidence to give birth normally, cope with labor, and partners will have increased confidence to support the woman through the process of labor.
3) Increased confidence to breastfeed and care for their newborn.
OVERVIEW OF COURSE
- Preventing premature birth
- Eating right for a healthy pregnancy
- Coping with common discomforts of pregnancy
- How your body works in labor and birth
- How labor begins and progresses
- “True” labor vs. “False” labor
- The phases and stages of birth
- How to time contractions
- When to go to the hospital
- Homebirth Preparation Includes:
- Preparing your house and family for the birth
- Planning for home waterbirth
- Arranging for hospital and MD back up
- Understanding how your midwives will deal with unexpected complications and emergencies.
- Breathing techniques and relaxation exercises
- Creative Visualization and other techniques
- Positions for easier, faster and more comfortable labor
- Support methods for birth partners
- Positions for effective pushing
- Trusting your body’s wisdom, surrendering and opening to birth
- Cultivating trust in birth; overcoming fear and anxiety
- The benefits of natural childbirth or “physiological childbirth”
- Orgasmic Birth?! How this is possible…
- The Role of the Doula–your partner in manifesting the birth you desire
- Choosing the place of birth: hospital, home or birth center?
- Choosing your birth support provider: midwife or obstetrician?
- Pain medication options: epidurals and analgesics; risks and benefits
- Advantages and disadvantages of medical procedures and their effect on labor, mother and baby (induction, electronic fetal monitoring, etc)
- Informed Consent and Refusal–Understanding Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Birth by Cesearean and Vaginal Birth After Cesearean (VBAC)
- Creating a “Birth Plan” and Communicating with Your Care Provider
- What to expect after baby arrives: physical and emotional needs of postpartum
- Bonding with your amazing newborn baby
- Newborn medical procedures: benefits and risks
- Breastfeeding Basics: Getting off to a good start
- A New Paradigm for Breastfeeding: Baby Self-Attachment and ®Biological Nurturing
- Kangaroo Mothercare
- Reducing Your Risks of SIDS by Co-Sleeping with Your Infant
- Laid Back Breastfeeding and other Positions to Make Breastfeeding Work
- Benefits of breastfeeding for mothers, fathers, babies and society
- How your breasts make milk
- Keeping up your milk supply
- Preventing sore nipples, dealing with engorgement and other issues
- Challenges of breastfeeding (inverted nipples, breastfeeding the premature baby, etc).
- Working or going to school while breastfeeding
- Pumping and storage of breastmilk
Cordelia Hanna-Cheruiyot, MPH, CHES, ICCE, CLE, CBA
Is a Certified Childbirth Educator (ICEA), Certified Birth Assistant (ALACE), Certfied Lactation Educator (CAPPA), Postpartum Doula and Assistant Midwife. She has taught hundreds of couples and attended births as an Assistant Midwife and Doula/Monitrice in hospitals, birth centers and homes since 1991. Cordelia received her Masters in Public Health in Health Education and Promotion/Maternal Child Health from Loma Linda University. She is a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) accredited by NCHEC, the gold standard for professional health educators. She has extensive experience working in the public health arena in Los Angeles as a Perinatal and Women’s Health Education Consultant, Trainer and Workshop Leader. Cordelia is the mother of two home-born, family bedded, breastfed children, who are now capable and bright young adults. Learn more about Cordelia
Donations may be tax-deductible. Check with your tax professional.
Group 4-Week Series is $350.00 per couple. Payments types accepted are debit, credit, money order, cash or check.
Weekend Intensive Birth Preparation Workshop is $500.00 per couple. Payments by check or money order are accepted. If you’d like to register for this class, send us an email and we will send you an invoice to pay via debit, credit or check.
Pay By Check
Make checks payable to: The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health (AWMNH).
Send checks to:
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health
P.O. Box 50630
Los Angeles, CA 90050-0630
Pay by debit card or credit card at Paypal
Use the drop down menu below to select “Group Childbirth Preparation Classes” then click on the “ADD TO CART” Button. You will then be redirected to Paypal’s secure website to pay using your Paypal account (if you don’t have one, you can set it up in minutes), or your debit or credit card.
LINKS OF INTEREST