Maternal Child Health Education Training and Consultation for Perinatal Professionals
Training and Certification in Perinatal Health
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health (MotherBabySupport.org) is a Maternal-Child Health training and advocacy organization located in Los Angeles, CA, USA. We offer a variety of training and consultation services for perinatal professionals globally. We work with physicians, midwives, hospitals, clinics, public health departments, birth centers, non-governmental organizations and ministries of health to provide optimal maternal-child health programs. If your staff cannot leave the worksite, we can come to your location. Ensure that your clinic or community-based program stands above those run-of-the mill programs and attract more clients! Invest in staff development. Empower your prenatal staff with the knowledge and skills to provide quality, maternal-child health education and support to your program clients. Our trainings can be customized to suit the specific needs of your program, clientele and staff. We offer all-day or half-day programs. Contact us for pricing and scheduling.
Perinatal Home Visitors, Traditional Birth Attendants, Perinatal Case Managers, Family Health Advocates, Certified Perinatal Health Workers, Obstetrical, Neonatal and Maternity Care Nurses, Physicians & Physician Assistants, Nurse-Midwives & Licensed Midwives, Prenatal Clinic Managers and Perinatal & Women’s Health Program Directors, Health Educators, Family Engagement Specialists, Promatoras de Salud/Community Health Outreach Workers, Public Health Educators, Doulas and Childbirth Educators, Lactation Consultants & Educators, Perinatal Social Workers, Newborn Nannies & Childcare Workers, Nursing Students, Student Midwives.
Current & Past Clients
- Fresno Department of Public Health – Fresno, CA
- Esperanza Community Housing Corporation – Promatora de Salud/Community Health Promoter Program – Los Angeles, CA
- UCLA Center for Health Promotion – Neighborhood Mother-Mentor Program – Pico Union Neighborhood of Los Angeles. CA
- Maternal Child Health Access – Welcome Baby! Pilot Program, Los Angeles, CA
- University Muslim Medical Association (UMMA) Clinic – South Los Angeles, CA
- Pediatric Therapy Network – Torrance, CA
- Community Health Alliance of Pasadena (CHAP) Clinic – Pasadena, CA
- Pasadena Public Health Department Black Infant Health Program – Pasadena, CA
- Benevolence Industries Inc. Central Medical Clinic – Crenshaw District, Los Angeles, CA
- All Care One Health Center Inc. – San Fernando Valley & East Los Angeles, CA
- Prototypes Black Infant Health Program – Pomona, CA
- Black Infant Health Program – Pasadena, CA
- Human Services Corporation – Bell Gardens, CA
Most courses are offered at California Endowment Center for Healthy Communities, in downtown Los Angeles, unless otherwise noted. We can also bring any training to your worksite, anywhere in the world. Courses can be customized to any length of time or budget or format.
PRENATAL STAFF DEVELOPMENT AND PERINATAL TRAINING FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health (MotherBabySupport.org) sponsors professional conferences, webinars, seminars, panel discussions, film screenings and other educational opportunities and community-building activities.
Review our 2017 Seminar: Life in the Womb and Its Lasting Impact
Review our 2016 U.S. Summit on Human Rights in Childbirth: Birthing Justice Forum and MCH Awards Recognition Ceremony
Review our 2015 Conference: Protecting the MotherBaby Dyad: Innovation in Maternity Care
Review our 2014 Conference: Medicine & Midwifery: Bridging the Gap
IN-SERVICE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health offers maternal-child health education and consultation and in-service training for Community Health Clinics, Federally-Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), Hospitals, Public Health Departments, Maternal-Child Health Programs and Obstetrician Medical Offices.
- Comprehensive Perinatal Support Program (CPSP) in-service staff training
- Lactation education counseling training, breastfeeding peer counseling
- The Lifecourse Model: Addressing Perinatal Health Disparities
- Childbirth education for maternal infant health workers
- Doula labor support, postpartum doula support training
- Seminars on Fertility Awareness Natural Family Planning, Menstrual Health
- Pre and Interconception Health Education
- Seminar on chronic disease health education
- Cultural awareness and cultural competency
- Communication and counseling skills, including The Three Step Strategy, Motivational Interviewing Technique and Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change Training
- Postpartum Doula Training
Maternal-Child Health Consultation
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health (MotherBabySupport.org) can provide consultation to clinics, hospitals, non-governmental organizations, ministries of health, public health departments, etc. to improve your Maternal-Child Health programming to deliver quality, evidence-based maternal and infant health programming. Focusing on staff training and development, we can assist directors and managers in developing quality programs that make a difference in the population you serve.
- Childbirth Education Classes – client prenatal education and train-the-trainer on our “Empowered Birth Natural Childbirth Preparation Class”
- Comprehensive Perinatal Support Services (CPSP) Protocol Review (Health Education Consultant and Psychosocial Consultant)
- Consultation for perinatal care management – helping you set up your prenatal program
- Developing prenatal protocols
- Training prenatal support staff and health educators on CPSP (weight grids, individualized care plans, Steps to Take, and motivational interviewing for client health behavior change)
- Chart Audits for prenatal programs
- Setting up a hospital-based doula program
- Multidisciplinary care coordination with team of perinatal health workers, case managers, clinicians (Nurse-Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Medical Doctors)
- Establishing a prenatal program at your agency –everything you need to set it up and make it stand out, setting your clinic’s program apart from your competitors “run of the mill” programs.
- Chart Audits – Medi-Cal Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) Prenatal Chart Auditing
- Developing evidence-based perinatal practices in hospital, clinic or community setting
- Mental Health and Perinatal Psychosocial Issues
- Focus Group Facilitation & Survey Development
- Planning and Evaluation of Prenatal Programs
- Midwifery Care and Doula Support Service Integration
- Community mobilization in evidence based maternity care
- Perinatal policy & resource development
- Perinatal program/project planning & implementation
- Curriculum development/adaptation for women’s and children’s health programs and perinatal health programs
- Development and adaptation of Health Education materials for perinatal programs
- Community Participatory Research Design and Implementation
- Integration of service systems from clinic to hospital
- Workforce Development: Perinatal Support Specialists, Community-Based Doulas, Community Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, Community Midwives, etc.
Additional Services Offered
- Chart Audits for your Comprehensive Perinatal Support Services (CPSP) Program
- Multidisciplinary Care Coordination with Clinicians (MDs, NPs, PAs, CNMs, etc.) and Paraprofessional staff including CPHWs, Case Managers, Medical Assistants (MA’s)
- Development of Prenatal Education Materials
- Childbirth Preparation Classes for Clients
- Breastfeeding Education Classes for Clients
- Support and Discussion Group Facilitation for Prenatal Patients and Postpartum Patients
- Birth & Postpartum Doula Support and Breastfeeding Peer Counselors for your patients/program clients
- Conference Planning
- Media interviews (evidence based maternity care, cesarean prevention, midwifery and Doula Support)
- Poster Presentations
- Presentations at conferences and seminars
- Panel Discussions
- Webinars (i.e., on the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative and Informed Consent and Refusal in Maternity Care)
- Plenary presentations
- In-service training for Staff Development
- Patient Prenatal Education Content for Company Website Integration
- Continuing education opportunities for RNs and MDs and CHES
- Academic course development and guest lectures (sociology, nursing, women’s studies, anthropology, public health, contemporary health, human sexuality, child development)
HALF DAY AND FULL DAY SEMINARS
- The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative Primer for Hospital Staff Implementing evidence-based maternity care in the clinical setting
- Exploring Careers in Maternity Care
- Preconception and Interconception Health Education
- Motivational Interviewing & Stages of Change Behavior Change Model
- Conscious Conception & Childbearing
- Hearts and Hands: The Art and Science of Mother-Centered Labor Support: A Seminar for Obstetrical Residents and Labor and Delivery Nurses
- Cultural Awareness and Cross-Cultural Communication and Human Rights in Childbirth
- Seminar in Motivational Interviewing and Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change
- Counseling Skills for Health Workers
- Fertility Awareness and Natural Family Planning
- Menstrual Health & Pre-Menopausal Health
- STD and HIV Prevention for Perinatal Health Workers
- Family Planning
- Midwives and the Midwifery Model of Care
- The Role of the Doula/Professional Labor Companion
Trainings can also be developed to meet your specific staff training needs. Please contact us for details.
COMPREHENSIVE COURSES OFFERED
Dates of Next Course: April-May, 2018
Location: Esperanza Community Housing Corporation, Los Angeles, CA
Days and Hours of Course: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, 6 days, 48 hours.
Certification: Yes, as a Certified Perinatal Support Specialist (CPSS)
CEUs: BRN, CHES, ICEA
Learn how to address perinatal health inequities and disparities and promote human rights in childbirth in this course. This course will enable participants to gain skills in lactation education and counseling, childbirth education, labor support and postpartum care, and preconception/interconception health education . Graduates will be prepared to provide prenatal education, breastfeeding, birth and postpartum support to mothers-to-be and new moms.
This course is designed for agencies with paraprofessionals such as Community Health Promoters, Home Visitors, Case Managers, Health Educators and Community Health Outreach Workers working in disadvantaged communities where perinatal health disparities exist. Also a good course for Certified Doulas who want to obtain knowledge to help them work with disadvantaged minority women.
The course will provide perinatal health workers with the skills to support informed choices in childbirth, educate about the birth process, facilitate maternal-infant attachment and labor coping skills and address barriers to breastfeeding initiation and continuation, and to inspire clients about the possibility of empowered, family-centered childbirth. Certification as a Perinatal Support Specialist (CPSS) is offered upon completion of requirements. Graduates of this course will be invited to participate in a Community-Based Doula Program and Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program.
Registration and Information: Contact us
SUPPORTING INFORMED CHOICES IN CHILDBIRTH: CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION FOR MATERNAL-INFANT HEALTH WORKERS
Certification Offered: No
Next Training: February, 2017 (SOLD OUT!) Next available date: December, 2017.
Days & Hours of Course: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, 3 days (20 hours total)
Location: Black Infant Health Program, Fresno Dept. of Public Health, Fresno, CA
Registration and Information: Contact us.
CEUs: CHES, ICEA
This course is designed to help maternal infant health workers promote mother-baby friendly care at among their clientele. Emphasis is on addressing ethnic health disparities and the impact of childbirth practices such as induction of labor, cesarean section on poor birth outcomes such as prematurity, low birth weight, infant and maternal mortality. Participants will also learn anatomy and physiology of childbirth and lactation, labor coping skills and the pros and cons of birth interventions. The goal is to help participants empower mothers to be informed decision makers and develop confidence for normal birthing.
Registration & Information: Contact us
Next Training: July 11, 12 & 13, 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Days and Hours of Course: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, for 3 days (20 hours total).
Certification Offered: Yes, as Certified Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (CBFPC)
CEUs: BRN, CHES, ICEA
Support the Gift of Health That Lasts a Lifetime! This 3-day, 20-hour intensive course provides education on the basics of lactation support. Cultural awareness, communication and counseling skills are also part of this course. This course is available for individuals or agencies who work with with pregnant or parenting clients. Perfect for doulas, home visitors, prenatal case managers, home-based infant educators, health promoters, case managers, health educators. No prior experience with breastfeeding required. Certification is offered.
Registration and Information: Contact us
Dates of Next Course: October, 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Days and Hours of Course: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, 3 days, 20 hours total.
Certification: Yes, as a Certified Postpartum Doula.
Master the Art of Mother and Baby Care! In this class, you will learn skills to support new mothers and care for newborns immediately following birth and the first months. More than a Baby Nurse, a Postpartum Doula provides emotional support, physical care and comfort to the new mother, instruction on self-care and baby care, and instills confidence in her clients for motherhood. Services of a Postoartum Doula also may include breastfeeding support, meal preparation, care of siblings, and linking families to supportive services in the community.
In this 20-hour course, you will learn how to support breastfeeding and address common problems such as low milk supply and sore nipples. You will also gain cultural awareness skills when working with diverse communities. You will also learn communication and counseling skills. In addition, skills for providing physical care of mothers and babies in the immediate postpartum period will be taught. You will learn how to provide emotional support of postpartum women including helping mothers cope with newborn loss or disappointing or traumatic birth experiences, and recognition of Perinatal Mood Disorders. You will also learn about newborn care and medical procedures, so as to inform clients about evidence-based options, and skills to care for newborn babies.
Registration and Information: Contact us
Dates of Next Course: January 20,21 & 27,28, 2018.
Location: Arcadia Birth Center, 420 Rolyn Place, Arcadia, CA 91007
Days and Hours of Course: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 2 weekends.
Certification: Yes, as Certified Midwife Assistant (CMA)
In September, 2015, a California Senate Bill No. 408 passed, creating a NEW profession in California: Midwife Assistant, an act to add Section 2516.5 to the Business and Professions Code, relating to healing arts. Midwife Assistant means a person, who may be unlicensed, who performs basic administrative, clerical, and midwife technical supportive services in accordance with this chapter for a licensed midwife or certified nurse-midwife. The midwife assistant should have had at least the minimum amount of hours of appropriate training pursuant to standards established by The California Medical Board for a medical assistant pursuant to Section 2069. What can Midwife Assistants do? They can perform midwife technical supportive services. This means simple routine medical tasks and procedures that may be safely performed by a midwife assistant who has limited training and who functions under the supervision of a licensed midwife or certified nurse-midwife.
Registration and Information: Contact Us
HALF AND FULL DAY STAFF IN-SERVICE SEMINARS
NEW SEMINAR! Hearts and Hands: The Art and Science of Mother-Centered Care (Labor Doula Support Skills for Obstetrical Nurses, Residents and Obstetricians)
In this seminar, conducted by a seasoned Certified Doula, a Registered Nurse (Labor and Delivery) and Certified Prenatal Yoga Instructor, obstetrical residents, obstetricians and labor and delivery nurses will learn non-pharmacological approaches to pain management and optimal positioning to support holistic, mother-centered, empowered births in the hospital setting. They will also learn to foster collaborative relationships with professional labor companions (doulas),with the goal to work towards empowered births for all families. Topics include: the science of undisturbed birth, the psychology of birth, cultural awareness, the sexuality of childbirth, labor support techniques, etc.
Format: Slide Show, Lecture & Skill Demonstration
Time: 90 minutes
Counseling for Change: Motivating Your Clients
In this course, health workers will learn the basics of communication and counseling skills, using a variety of counseling models including The Three Step Strategy, Motivational Interviewing and Transtheoretical Model. This is a half day seminar can be brought to agency worksite.
Time: 4 hours
The ABCDEs of Pre and Interconception Health, Cultural Awareness ad Cross-Cultural Communication & Addressing Disparities in Maternal and Child Health
In this course, health workers, teachers of young children and others can learn the basics of how to promote the health of their clients and their unborn children, using this simple model on Pre and Interconception Health, developed by Los Angeles County Dept. of Health Speaker’s Bureau.
In addition, participants will learn the about cultural awareness and cross-cultural communication, will learn about The Lifecourse Theory, a framework to explain and address disparities in the health of women, infants and children. This seminar can be brought to your worksite, as a plenary at a conference, or can be integrated as part of a more comprehensive training for Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) Perinatal Health Workers (CPHWs). This half day seminar can be brought to agency worksite.
Format: Lecture/Discussion, Skill Demo
Time: 1 hour
Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) Skill Development for Certified Perinatal Health Workers (CPHWs).
In this course, Certified Perinatal Health Workers will gain deeper understanding of the California Comprehensive Perinatal Support Services Program (CPSP). CPSP is enhanced health services for low-income pregnant women who are Medi-Cal eligible. The program provides Psychosocial Assessment, Health Education ad Nutritional Counseling in addition to prenatal care. Participants in this seminar will gain skills to implement the CPSP program in their clinic.
Managers can be assured that by sending workers to this class, they will avoid negative audits and retain satisfied clients in their Medical Home. Course taught by a MPH in Health Education and Promotion/Maternal Child Health and a Clinical Psychologist who are on the approved list of CPSP Consultants at Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Maternal Child Health Programs, CPSP program. This course can be brought to agency worksite.
Course topics include:
- Client Assessment and Re-Assessment
- Client Care Plans
- Weight Grids, Nutritional Assessment and Counseling
- Psychosocial Assessment and Referral Guidelines
- Using “Steps to Take” (CPSP health education manual) to provide health education for clients
- Pre and Interconception Health Education
- Communication and Counseling Skills to motivate health behavior change in clients.
Format: Lecture/Demo, Skill Demo
Time: 8 hours, 1 full day or two half days.
The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative: A Primer for Hospital Staff
This presentation is for nurses, hospital administrators and physicians who want to gain awareness of how to implement evidence-based maternity care in the community, hospital or clinic setting using the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative developed by The Coalition for Improving Maternity Services.
The scientific basis for the MFCI was published in the Journal of Perinatal Education in 2007. The 10-step plan helps hospitals, clinics and providers of maternity care increase patient satisfaction, improve maternity care quality and achieve goals for perinatal health, and is closely aligned with the Affordable Care Act. This seminar can be brought to agency worksite or hospital.
Format: Slide Show, Lecture & Discussion Buzz Group
Time: 15-45 minutes (short and long versions available).
Because we educate about and promote:
- Informed consent and refusal in maternity care–not only is it responsible and ethical, women who felt they had decision-making power during birth had improved self-esteem and bonding with their babies.
- Alternative choices in childbirth such as homebirth, waterbirth, birth centers and midwife-assisted birth.
- Physiological childbirth–it’s natural and normal, and results in healthy outcomes for mothers and infants.
- The lifelong importance of maternal-infant attachment.
- Breastfeeding–it protects and improves maternal and infant health for a lifetime and is also eco-friendly.
- Awareness of spiritual and emotional aspects of birthing.
- Awareness of the influence of the woman’s social environment on pregnancy, birthing, and breastfeeding.
- Family involvement in the birthing process.
- Complimentary modalities for pregnancy and childbirth: acupuncture, chiropractic, herbology, etc.
- Attachment parenting as the most sensible way to develop happy and secure children.
In short, we trust birth. We believe in women. We help you support your clients to develop confidence for birthing, breastfeeding and parenting.
We inspire your staff’s commitment to service, excellence, compassion and sensitivity.
Professional Services and Training are Coordinated by:
Cordelia Hanna-Cheruiyot, MPH, CHES, ICCE, CLE, CBA
Executive Director, The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health
Masters in Public Health/Health Education and Promotion (Loma Linda University)
Ph.D. in Health Education and Promotion/Global Health (degree pending, Walden University)
Certified Health Education Specialist (NCHEC)
Certified Lactation Educator (CAPPA)
Certified Childbirth Educator (ICEA)
Certified Birth Assistant (ALACE)
27 years experience working in public health departments, community clinics, federally-qualified health centers (FQHCs), hospitals, birth centers and home birth practices
Approved by Los Angeles County Department of Maternal and Child Health (LAC-MCAH) Comprehensive Perinatal Support Services (CPSP) Program as a Health Education Consultant to CPSP Providers